Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Self Talk

Through my athletic experience and mental game training, I have become more and more aware of the power of our words. I truly believe that whatever you believe, you will achieve, whether you want to or not. Whatever our thoughts are that we cultivate in our minds each day germinate and grow. One day becoming reality.

When we repeat something often enough it will start to become you. For example, if you think you are not able to control your eating, you won't. Your self-talk each day will continue to confirm this belief.

A change in what you tell yourself will result in a change in your behavior. So, for example, simply changing the above example to, "I can control my eating." Or if that seems to challenging, try this, "I am learning to control my eating." Begin to let those new thoughts and words cultivate new beliefs about yourself. There's a big difference between believing and telling yourself you have no control and believing and telling yourself you can or are learning to control your eating.

Listen carefully to the words you say to yourself. Choose to change the "I can't" to "I can", the "I have to" to, "I want to", the "I should" to "I could"...

You are what you think!!

No comments: