Thursday, December 11, 2008

New Life

An amazing thing happened to me on Tuesday. I became a grandmother!!
My daughter/step-daughter, gave birth to her first child, Dean.

The miracle of life! The miracle of labor, of the human body, of the immediate bond between Mom, Dad and child. The joy, the newness, the awe of it all. There's nothing like the birth of a child.

At a recent conference I attended in Montreal, we were treated to a Native American blessing. A song writer had put it to music and had the huge room of 2,000 people sing it in a round. The words and music brought tears to my eyes. It was a blessing I knew I'd want to bestow on Dean.

Here are the words:

When you were born you cried
And the world rejoiced
Live your life so that when you die
The world cries and you rejoice!

I truly believe that each of us have been put on this earth for a reason. We've all
been given great gifts. It's up to us to use them. Are you living your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice?

It's never too late to live your life differently, more fully and with meaning.
As I watched my daughter and son in law become parents...I saw them see new meaning for their lives. Our children stand for us to live our life so that when we die they cry and we rejoice.

No comments: