Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Move Past Your Thoughts

"Anxiety and fear strip away courage and makes great performances impossible. Doubt makes even the best decisions feel difficult and causes procrastination. Anger rips your focus away from your goals. Frustration can only serve to make you quit. Guilt makes it impossible to enjoy any successes you achieve. Jealousy and envy create dishonesty, hate and corruption."

After reading that, did you notice that the only thing that can truly stop you are your own thoughts? The reverse is also true, that the only things that can propel you into doing, being and having anything you want in life are also your thoughts and emotions.

I read the above statement in a book quite a while ago and wrote it down. I reflect on it often. When I am experiencing frustration, for example, it causes me to realize that my frustration will only cause me to want to quit. It forces me to take a look at where the frustration is coming from. Sometimes it is simply a distraction, a negative thought or something I am tolerating. By taking a look at where the frustration is coming from it helps me realize I live in choice. Choice to remove or change action to continue on my journey and not fall into my frustration.

Likewise, when I made the decision to compete in triathlons I realized I had to face my fear (phobia) of water. My fear and anxiety were the only things that stood in my way of achieving my goal of competing in a triathlon. Once I realized that, facing my fears, understanding what they were, finding new ways to handle them...enabled me to get into the water and compete in the triathlon. It also enabled me to release and experience the wonderful, empowered life that awaited me at the other side of my fear.

I have not always been a positive person. In fact, it was not long ago that I was very negative. Through my triathlon training and goal setting, I have realized the value of changing my negative thoughts to my positive thoughts. Not only to I apply positve thinking to my sports training, but also to my life. I continue to find ways to challenge what I believe I can do. It keeps me positive and on my edge.

We do experience what we believe!! If you believe it you WILL achieve it.

What do YOU believe about yourself? What do your thoughts and emotions tell you?

No comments: